Magento 1 End of Life June 2020
Back in February 2017, Magento announced that it would be ending support for Magento 1 in November 2018. However, this was recently extended to June 2020. End of the life means after June 2020 Magento 1 will be not supported.
- Magento will not add any new version of Magento 1.
- Magento will not add any new security patches for Magento 1.
- Magento will not fix any existing bugs in Magento 1 latest version.
- You will not get any support for Magento 1 website from the Magento company.
- Neither you will find any new extensions for Magento 1 nor extension companies will add any new feature for its existing extension, as Magento 1 is outdated.
- The extension development company will not develop any new extensions for Magento 1.
- Technology Enhancement:
- Magento 2 uses the latest technologies and the latest versions of PHP (7.3.x), HTML5, CSS 3, Less, Knockout JS and the most recent versions of JQuery.
- Improved Security and Website Performance:
Magento 2 is hastier than Magento 1. Check below points for it:
- The page load time drops by 30 – 50% in Magento 2.
- A more secure platform in handling orders per hour by 39% when compared to Magento 1.
- Magento 2 offers faster checkout when compared to Magento 1.
- Quicker AJAX for Add to Cart.
- Mobile – Responsive:
- Magento 2 has enriched the mobile responsiveness of your website. It accompanies with new responsively designed (and SEO- pleasing) themes. It also bolsters PWA.
- Default Magento 2 possesses below mentioned features which are not there in Magento 1.
- Magento 2 supports PHP 7.3.x whereas Magento 1 doesn't. (Also, for some security reasons PHP proclaim and endorses to use Php 7.2 and higher.)
- Supports PWA: Progressive Web App
- Boosts GraphQL language.
- Built-in Google Shopping ads Channel.
- Magento 2 has an inbuilt Cache Management system (varnish and full-page cache).
- Magento 2 offers an Advanced Search feature (Elastic search).
- Magento 2 has Multi Sources Inventory (MSI) management (warehouse shipping) feature. You can ship from multiple location.
- Magento 2 provides a Canonical tag, to avoid duplicate content issues.
- Add to Cart works with AJAX.
- Magento 2 is more secure than Magento 1.
- Magento 2 supports new payment gateways like Amazon Pay, Braintree (Apple Pay, Android Pay), Klarna etc.
- Magento 2 has an inbuilt Vertex tax to manage taxes.
- Assists with Google reCAPTCHA.
- Incorporated with two-factor authentication.
- Magento leads with the Backup Plan feature.
- Steps for checkout has been reduced to just two in Magento 2.
- Admin URL of all the Magento 2 sites will be unique. It’s randomly generated when you install Magento 2 (you can add manually URL also).
- Magento has its official development documentation to assist developers to develop Magento 2 stores in a better way.
- Improved code quality:
- Easily upgrade to the new version.
Magento team is continuously working on making Magento 2 better day by day so you will get the best framework at free of cost.
Answer: An exceptionally good question, Magento 2 is tendering such a considerable number of enhanced functionalities, yet people are not influenced towards Magento 2! Check out some of the reasons for it:
- Transformation threat: Everyone is feeling that they are comfortable with Magento 1 and if they shift to Magento 2, they would first of all need to gain knowledge to maintain their Magento 2 site. Everybody enjoys being in their comfort zone. Yet, at some point or another, you must do it.
(What we think: As an admin user, you will find no alters in Magento 2 admin when contrasted with Magento 1. Magento 2 differs only in admin layouts, while the functioning is the same as Magento 1. You will surely adore it after using it for a few days. You will soon get know that it is much better than Magento 1.)
- Magento 2 Extensions: Magento 2 is proposing numerous functionalities, yet it is new. Magento 1 has a ton of extensions, resources and helping networks on the web.
(What we think: First of all,the initial version of Magento 2 came in 2015 so it is not new. Currently, there are numerous Magento 2 resources, extensions and helping networks than Magento 1. It is a fact; you can get to know about it if you do a bit research on it.)
- Magento 2 is complicated than Magento 1:Each and everyone has a similar opinion that Magento 2 is more challenging than Magento 1. Yes, it is true as Magento 2 utilizes the most recent technologies and possesses various advanced features and functionalities.
(What we think: What we think: Magento 2 is complex yet we can manage several custom-built sites for you. Also, we had previously done many Magento 2 sites with massive customization work. To maintain your position in this growing market one should need to run with recent technologies.)
- Is Magento 1 still supported?
- Yes, Magento 1 will be available until June 2020 thereafter Magento will not provide any support for Magento 1.
- Do I need to upgrade to Magento 2?
- It relies on you, Magento and we are not compelling anybody to upgrade to Magento 2. Magento 2 has advanced features than Magento 1. Magento 2 is more secure, fast, optimized, use the latest technologies and tidy than M1. Also, there will be no support for Magento 1 in the future. (We strongly recommend upgrading to Magento 2.)
- How do I migrate to Magento 2?
- Rootways will help you with upgrade to Magento 2. We will build Magento 2 website for you and migrate all your Magento 1 data (products, customer, order, admin settings, etc.) to Magento 2.
- What is the cost of migration?
- It will depend on the complexity of your website and your necessities with the new Magento 2 store. Please contact us for that.
Share your migration requirements with us.
The cost to migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2 is starting from $1,579.