Magento Product Import Excel/CSV Format Important Points
Importing products and categories to database is the most common process in Magento Content Management. The catalog products CSV/Excel file contains information about products and the relationships between them. We have created a list of points that you should keep in mind for a successful import process of Products.
Make sure following columns are specified in the import csv/excel file:
- Product/service name
- Price (Must not have $ sign, only numericals e.g. 15 or 9.99)
- SKU (unique product identification), no spaces before, after or in between.
- description (Must not have special characters like ~ , ` )
- short_description (Must not have special characters like ~ , ` )
- custom Attributes e.g. Color if you have configurable products then you have to give list of colors
- type (e.g simple, configurable)
- weight (put “1” if you do not use it)
- Categories with Levels
- Must define Category Levels in individual column for Multi-level Categories. Check image shown above for example.
- Any Category name should not have '/' (forward slash) in its name. You may add '&'.